Tuesday, September 15, 2009

{rEcIpEs from a farmer's wife}


*****See Mandi's awesome stir fry recipe below and Lisa's bread post. Delish! I just had a spare moment to post something and might not get to for a few days:). So here it goes.


Hi. I'm Lynsey. We live on a farm in Brenham, TX and raise grass-fed beef, pastured pork, and pastured chicken and eggs. We have three precious girls. Life sure is fun and full of excitement 'round these parts!


Food is kind of a big deal to us since our lifestyle is about educating and promoting our farm. You can probably guess that we eat lots of meat around here. So, I would classify my cooking style as healthful meat and potatoes. I have a farmer to feed who requires hearty healthy meals. This was a bit of challenge to me finding recipes to fill us up and be healthful.


I use cast iron to cook with for its amazing benefits which adds to the ambiance of farm life......or at least that is what I tell myself when I'm seasoning it everyday after use:)


I cook mostly all three meals from scratch. It seems to work for us too. I use only whole ingredients- whole grains, raw milk and butter, and organic if possible. Most meals consist of a meat and veggies or whole wheat pasta or brown rice.


I truly enjoy cooking. But, what I love most is taking recipes I use to love prior to changing our lifestyle and making a healthier version of them. Some things I've learned to make from scratch instead of buy in a can or box are cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom, spaghetti sauce, and cornbread just to name a few.


I'm still learning and a work in progress. I struggle with food (the bad kind....we all know that chili cheese dogs truly aren't good for us:) being an idol so this adventure to feed my family good things hasn't came without its challenges. I'm gaining victory in this area personally and see the fruits of my labor in my girls- they ask for fruits and veggies for snacks. Of course, my hubby is just smitten over the whole thing and loves to come home from a hard days work to a good meal on the table.


Sorry! I know this isn't a "Food Addicts Anonymous" blog, but I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from and a little bit of background. I've been on all sides of the food spectrum but I'm at a good place now- for me at least.


My FAVORITE kitchen investment was a good enamel roasting pan (like the one pictured above)- Martha Stewart enamel with cast iron underneath roasting pan- cherry red of course:). I purchased mine at Macy's last year and use it multiple times a week. It seems to make the best roasted chicken with very little ingredients added. Of course, I think our chickens are hands down the best I've ever had, so I'm a little biased. But, adding water, salt, pepper, and garlic makes the most wonderfully flavored roasted chicken.
I'm looking forward to learning from and with each of you!

2 comments:

mandi said...

i agree with you- your chickens ARE the best!!!

Mommy, M.D. said...

girl, tell me more about this roasting pan. like a dutch oven? or a braiser? my roasting pan is a cheapie stainless nonstick number, but i'm not in love with it; it's way bigger than i need. i can't tell how deep the one is in the picture.